Wednesday, October 1, 2008



When I'm done doing whatever it is that I'm supposed to do, I'm going to build the window that belongs to this view. My mother grew up on this mountain. The cove in the picture is the village of Masefau in American Samoa. My grandmother was raised in the village and moved up to the mountain side after she married. The hillside is covered with fruits and vegetables. The pinapples were the size of watermelons. Anything you stuck in the ground would start growing. We (the family) have land both up on the mountain and down in the village, so I'm going to end up somewhere in this picture.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you get there... Can we visit?

Carolyn Fields said...

Alex,

This photo is so gorgeous I can only imagine what it is like in real life. I'm with Andy, when you get set up, will you have a little cottage in the back where teacher friends can stay? Where does your mom live now? How on earth did you end up in Benicia? I'd love to know more...

Carolyn

Roger said...

Count me in! They just don't make places like this anymore..hang on to what you have!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I would love to have a place to go there once I'm done with my work too....

Wendy said...

I am finally getting a chance to catch up and comment on your blog.
WOW! what a dreamy, beautiful place! I will shortly travel to a place that is very similar to your picture...south west of India, a place called Goa. I will have to post some pictures on my blog to show you.
Have tourists discovered your dreamy place yet?

Sarah said...

What a beautiful picture! I want to be there today!

Karen Hatzigeorgiou said...

It must be paradise! I was just saying to my husband the other day how much I love California and how I can't imagine living anywhere else. And he said, "What about Greece?" Well, of course, I could always live in Greece (that's where he's from). And then there's Barcelona, which I am totally in love with. And I can't forget Prague, which also captured my heart. And Italy-Venice, Florence, Rome, the countryside . . . any of those will do. And now I want to look out that window of yours too. That's the problem with traveling--you think of the places you aren't, and wonder if you'll ever get back to them again.